TMD affecting facial fullness???

01/30/2009

Question:

Hi- About three months ago, my face was squared and very full around the jaw and temporal areas. Now, my face is hollow and sunken in at the temples and cheeks. I had two root canals at the bottom (teeth # 30) and had an acute TMD/trismus/facial muscle spasms. I was overcame with stress/anxiety for about 2 weeks and had very minimal sleep for a couple of days. My cheekbones are very prominent and I look sick/weak. I am eating more now and calming my stress. Will I ever go back to the way I look with a fuller squared face? Is this TMD/trismus impact permanent? I am 24 years old and 5`2". I have been around 100lbs for the longest time. Does the muscles in your face shrink permanently thereby creating this thin hollow look?

Answer:

This would be a better question for your physician. The dental problems you have related would have no affect on your appearance.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry