Gum Diseases

Black gums

01/27/2009

Question:

Hello, After getting a lot of fillings done on my teeth, I decided I wanted to whiten them. I brush 3 to 5 times a day, but tonight I just tried brushing with some baking soda. It burned my gums, and after rinsing I noticed the gums on the lower front are turning black. They are still burning, and I`m wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? I do have gingivitus, and my gums are swollen.

Answer:

You need to visit a dentist and/or periodontist depending on the severity of the problem. We do not recommend these types of applications. Baking soda is abrasive and its pH may destroy the epithelial cell layer covering your oral mucosa and your gingiva. It will take time to heal and you may have permanent damage.

I recommend that you visit a dentist to evaluate the severity of the problem. He/she may decide to refer you to a periodontist depending on the severity of the problem.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology