Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)




I was misdiagnissed as having bipolar. Is there a way to get this diagnoses changed?


Hello and thank you for your excellent question.

Regarding getting a diagnosis changed: yes, there should be a way to do that by writing/emailing (to keep a paper trail for records) the mental health professional who gave you the initial diagnosis of bipolar disorder and presenting your reasons for wanting this changed and the evidence for this change (i.e., a second assessment conducted by a mental health professional showing the correct diagnosis).

Hope that helps.

For more information:

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University