Pulmonary Fibrosis

Pulmonary fibrosis Toronto Canada

01/30/2009

Question:

I am 62 years old. I have been Diagnoised with IPF since 2004. I am on 24 hour Oxygen at least 2 litres and more as needed. I have been turned down for a transplant due to kidney and heart issues. I have recently turned to a homeopathic doctor who is treating me and suggesting I use serrapeptase and other treatment for fibrosis and is suggesting that my condition will improve and I will have a better quality of life. This treatment is quite expensive. In your opinion should I follow this treatment or should I pray for the best since The Medical community has basically said they can not do any more. Please Advise since I really want to know if this will work.Also how close am I to the final stage in life.

Answer:

There are no scientific studies about serrapeptase and other homeopathic treatments for pulmonary fibrosis. Because most of these treatments are not regulated by authorities (such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration), the manufacturers of these substances can make claims of improvement in many conditions without any scientific basis for them. Most physicians urge caution in using any treatment for pulmonary fibrosis that has not been shown to improve the condition, whether it is an available prescription medication or a homeopathic preparation. Unfortunately, there are many product manufacturers who make a lot of money off desperate patients with untreatable or terminal diseases by making unsubstantiated claims of cure in order to sell their products.

As far as the progression of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, once patients reach a point where they require continuous oxygen, they have reached an advanced stage of the disease.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine