Level of WBC`s after 105 fever

02/04/2009

Question:

My 21 month granddaughter was admitted in the hospital with a 105 temp.She was given antibiotics and they ran tests to see what kind of infection that she had, but at the end, could not say what actually caused it, only what didn`t. They kept her for two days because her WBC count was in the 30k. After getting antibiotics, the wbc continued to rise in the 40k. When she was released it was 24k. I understand that normal range is 10k. Parents were advised to follow up care with regular pediatrician in 1 week. What should we expect the pediatrician`s next move to be? Thank You

Answer:

The next move by the pediatrician would be dependent upon how well your granddaughter is doing and how quickly she returned to her normal state of health.  In general, the white blood cells are infection fighting cells and seeing her's increase and then begin to decrease is a sign that her body has beaten the infection, whatever the cause may have been.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine