Bump near torus palatinus

02/05/2009

Question:

I have a hard bump or ridge of some sort to the left of my torus palatinus. It almost feels like I might have the same thing on the opposite side underneath what I guess would be the muscle or tissue of my soft palate. However, when I run my tongue along the back of my mouth, I can definitely feel the bump on the left side and not the one on the right. The bump is not visible...there is no discoloration on the inside of my mouth or anything. It is just a hard bump. What could this be and should I be concerned?

Answer:

If this bump is to the side of your (midline?) palatal torus, then it is probably on the hard palate and most likely represents a separate bony torus (or exostosis).

If it is truly located on the soft palate, then other possibilities would have to be considered. Among them would be growths/tumors of tissues under the skin of the mouth or possibly of one of the small spit glands (minor salivary glands) found in this area.

Although likely benign, I would recommend that you get an appointment with your dentist or a dental specialist to examine this bump personally and discuss your options, including the need for follow-up or possible biopsy. Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology