Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Women's Health

Had a bad cold now pain under right rib



Hello, doctor. sorry, it might be a bit too long but this strange pain under my right rib started around 4 months ago and no one can tell me what is it. so in September 08 I caught a terrible cold, couldn`t stop coughing (I was up every night all night for a few days) thought I had a pneumonia, had an x-ray done, showed nothing. first, pain was so strong that I couldn`t really tell where it was hurting, my whole chest was in pain. slowly my cough got better and most of the pain in the chest has gone except it was still hurting alot(bottom of the rib cage on the right)when I was taking a deep breath in. I went to see a lung specialist, he used my 2 month old x-ray and said it looks fine to him and this is probably a muscular thing or a broken rib. it`s now 4 months since this started, I still have same problems with breathing. I noticed that it goes away after I have a rest(sleep or lie down). it doesn`t really matter how long I am resting for but it comes back after 10-20 minutes after getting up. I saw my GP a couple of days ago, he`s got an ultrasound machine in his room so he had a quick look if I had gall stones (and probably other serious things) but couldn`t see anything. he said that he thinks that I don`t have anything serious but he can`t guarantee anything. so, now he told me to come back in 2 months because "the picture might change". I haven`t done any tests. the pain is irrelevant to what I eat, only on inhale. I am 27, I understand that for me it is less likely to have some serious diseases but it doesn`t make it impossible. I`ve got 2 children 2 and 3 y.o. and I am really worried and scared. do you have any idea what it can be?

I know it`s almost impossible to give a right diagnosis but any suggestion would be appreciated. thank you very much in advance.


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, our experts try to answer general questions about health and wellness but cannot diagnose or provide patient-specific consults. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your chest pain, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given, or the condition, need to be directed to your treating physicians. You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

For more information:

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Professor Emeritus
College of Nursing
The Ohio State University