Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook





I am 29 years old and i live in upstate ny.I have very crowded teeth & an over bite,It`s so embarassing & i need dental work done very bad.I have medicaid but unfortunatly it does not cover braces for adults.So,I was wondering if there was any financial help for low income adults that need braces? Thank You!


I am asked this question often. Pro bono work in dentistry is usually confined to single procedures by the general dentist who can sometimes afford to do this because it is not repetitive.

Unfortunately, orthodontics often requires two years of treatment and orthodontists who have to pay rent, supplies, salaries, and the like simply cannot do pro bono work.

The new State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) program recently passed by Congress has been pegged at 300% poverty level, but I do not know whether dentistry or orthodontics will be included.

I suggest you try a service organization such as Rotary, Kiwanis, or Sertoma in your area and see whether it might be willing to help.

For more information:

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University