Gum Diseases

Laser periodontal surgery

02/12/2009

Question:

I have been scheduled by a periodontist for surgery for bone loss and gum disease. This periodontist does conventional cut and suture. I have had a second consult with a DDS that does laser surgery and he advises that the success rate is much higher and the discomfort much lower with the laser surgery. It sounds like the way to go. Do you agree or is there something that I am missing?

Answer:

Currently, laser is recommended as adjunctive therapy for initial periodontal therapy (scaling and root planing)and not for surgical therapy.

For initial therapy, the success rate is not much higher compared to conventional periodontal therapy. Most of the available studies are presenting no difference.

Controversy does exist for the discomfort level. You can read additional information from the American Academy of Periodontology website designed for patients.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology