Allergies

Help with allergy to sterile alcohol pads

02/23/2009

Question:

These sterile pads cannot be used on my skin because within a day or two of where they are used I break out in a itchy rash. Medical professionals always look at me cross-eyed when I tell them this. I forgot before some injections a couple of days ago to refuse the pad until it was too late. Today I`m using cortizone cream to keep the itch down and it`ll likely be 2-3 days until it`s gone.

I know I am allergic to something in the pads but have no idea what (aren`t they supposed to be sterile?) and would like to find out. And, what else should I avoid? It`s possible this is why I`ve had issues with various products on my skin my entire life. I would really like to avoid other trigger products that might be similar to the alcohol pads.

Thanks so much.

Answer:

It is possible that you could have a contact dermatitis. The best way to determine the exact cause of your symptoms is patch testing. This can be done by an allergist or dermatologist.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics