Diabetes

A1c and stress

02/18/2009

Question:

i JUST GOT MY RESULTS FROM MY AIG , IT WENT FROM 6.1 TO 7.1 . tHESE PASS 3 MONTHS II HAVE HAD TWO CATARAT SURGERY , WATER PIPES BROKE IN MY APT TWICE . dAUGHTER WAS BEDRIDDEN FOR A MONTH THE WHOLE MONTH OF DEC. . MY QUESTION IS COULD THIS RISE IN MY AIG DUE TO STRESS OR AM I KIDDING MYSELF .

Answer:

I assume the result you are referring to is a hemoglobin A1c (not AIG) result.  If so, it is important to break the reasoning down step by step.  What the result means is that average blood sugar control was higher in the time period reflected by the later result than in the time period reflected in the earlier result.  You then need to use other information to explain how the result came about.  It is certainly reasonable to think that the reasons you give could contribute to the change.  It would be helpful to use other data, like home blood glucose testing to confirm that result.  If your interpretation is true and those factors have since gone away, you would expect the blood glucose testing to show improvement sooner than the next HbA1c test will show it.  If the subsequent results on blood glucose testing and a future HbA1c result support your explanation, then you should feel more confident in believing that explanation - if they do not, then perhaps you do need to consider other explanations.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine