Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Dark gums

02/24/2009

Question:

I have a four year old son. I have been very picky with his teeth since he was born. I used to clean his gums with a warm washcloth after nursing when he was an infant. As he became older and grew teeth, I began brushing them every morning and night. I don`t understand why his gums are continuing to become darker. After several trips to the dentist, they said his teeth are fine(no cavities). Why are his gums dark? Please help! Worried Mom!

Answer:

Thanks for the question. Pigementation of the gingivae is a normal occurence - particularly in certain ethnic/biracial populations. If a dentist has been monitoring it, that's the best thing you can do.

In some cases - as in an eruption cyst/hematoma - it is actually the blood under the tissue that is 'showing' through, but again, my recommendation would be have it monitored by a dentist. I hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry