I think my 7 year old is getting pubic hair

02/23/2009

Question:

I`ve noticed about 5 or 6 strands of black pubic hair on my 7 year old daughter. I`m very concerned. Over the past few years she`s been gaining weight. She`s currently about 95 pounds and we encourage healthy eating. Her shoe size seems to be increasing at a more than normal rate. Do all of these signs/symptoms sound familiar to any of your experts? I`m thinking the right thing to do is to take her to a endocrinologist but I`m wondering if you have any further insight. Maybe questions to ask or something additional to look for. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time!

Answer:

It sounds as if you may be describing early puberty and I would agree with your thoughts regarding a visit to an endocrinologist.  You have provided the most important information, the other information you will need to have for the visit is a record of her growth including heights and weights, as well as knowing timing information for puberty for her immediate relatives (brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles as well as you and her father).

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine