Colon Cancer

Blood Filled Colostomy Bag

02/24/2009

Question:

I am hoping I can get a little information and help from you, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer, that has spread to her liver and both lungs 9 months ago. She has a colostomy bag now and is going through chemo, which she is handeling rather well. She informed me that she woke up this morning and found her bag was filled with blood. Apparently this is the 2nd time this happened in the past 2 days. She doesn`t tell me everything bacause she doesn`t want to worry me. I am trying to get her to call the doctor but she hasn`t. Is this something that is common, or is it something we should be concerned about? She still seems to be in denial for the most part, and I am not sure what to do. Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon.

Answer:

If your mom is seeing blood in her colostomy bag - she should be evaluated by a physician. I would not recommend delaying getting her evaluated either by her primary doctor or in an urgent care/emergency room setting.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine