Lung Cancer

Lung problems

03/04/2009

Question:

2 yrs ago i had bowel cancer, i am 40 now and still under going tests, i have now ben told i have a shadow on one of my lungs, is this more likely to be cancer rather than a cist or minor problem?

Answer:

From the limited information, it is hard for me to determine that exactly what it is. If the shadow was found on a follow-up CT scan of the chest, the radiologists could probably tell if it appears as an infection (pneumonia or a minor problem) or a probable tumor either from the bowel cancer or a new lung cancer. Bowel cancers can sometimes show up in the lung if they were not totally eradicated during the initial treatment. My suggestion would be to ask your doctor to review the CT scan of the chest (get one if it is not done yet) and ask if a biopsy is needed to rule out cancer. In some cases, we may want to repeat another CT in 2-3 months to determine if it is still there or has changed size. If it is an infection it may disappear and you may not need a biopsy at all.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology