Dental and Oral Health Center

Milk tooth

02/24/2009

Question:

I Am a 34 year old woman and i still have one canine milk tooth .. it has now gone black and im in alot of pain with it but the dentist will not remove it or fill it for me .. im close to getting the plyers and removing it mysef .. am i within my rights to have this removed? and is it right to have milk teeth at my age? 

Answer:

If by milk tooth, you mean a retained primary tooth, it is not unusual for people to have a primary tooth remaining when they are older. It often happens when there is no permanent tooth to replace it. <p />If the primary tooth is causing the pain, it is acceptable treatment to remove it. If your dentist is refusing to remove the tooth there has to be a reason. Ask for an explanation. Either your dentist does not think that tooth is causing the problem or there is another factor. <p />If the tooth has decay or is infected, you can have it removed. If your dentist will not remove it, get a second opinion to find out why it should or should not be removed.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry