Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Elevated platelet count

03/02/2009

Question:

I had a CBC w/diff done yesterday and the physician called with the results today. I have an elevated platelet count and the physician wants to repeat the CBC in 6 weeks. I had lap band surgery 5/08 and have lsot 57 pounds since then. I am working out with a trainer 3 days/week and am walking 4 days/week. What could be a possible cause of the elevated platelets? As a pharmacist, I`m envisioning worst case scenarios right now.

Answer:

While I cannot give any specific advice regarding your case without being able to see you and talk to you, an elevated platelet count can be seen with iron deficiency, but also it can be elevated as an acute phase reactant, meaning it can go up as a reaction to physical stress.

With the gastric bypass procedures, iron deficiency can commonly develop, but I'm not certain whether this will occur with the lap banding as the procedure is a little different.

I would encourage you to discuss these issues with your physician, and if there are any additional questions, I would encourage you to see a hematologist if you have not already done so.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine