Recurring sore inside nose

04/03/2009

Question:

I have had a sore on the left inside "bone" area of my nose for unbelievably 2 years. I noticed today, on the other side there is a small white dot. I tried to whip it with a q-tip and it wouldn`t go away, even with a little more force. Clearly I should go to the Doctor... Thank you...

Answer:

The bone area you describe is presumably the septum, the structure that separates the two nostrils.  If the septum is a little crooked or deviated, it can become dry and this lead to crusting and sometimes ulceration.  You might try applying an antibiotic ointment twice a day, and using a topical salt water spray (available in most drug stores) throughout the day to keep this area more moist.  If is does not resolve, then I would agree with your plans to see a physician.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy