Pulmonary Fibrosis

Alveolpulmonary/parenchy abnormalities

03/02/2009

Question:

I HAVE SARCOID AND MORE RECENTLY LUNG INVOLVEMENT MY SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SHORTNESS OF BREATH, DRY COUGH, EXTREME FATIGUE AND WHEN MY CARDIOLOGIST ENQUIRED ABOUT CHEST PAINS I REPLIED ALWAYS BUT IT FEELS MORE LIKE PAIN IN MY LUNGS. THE CT SCAN HE ORDERED CAME BACK REPORTING "NON SPECIFIC PATCHY ALVEOLAR INTERSTITIAL OPACITIES IN BOTH LUNGS. MY RHEUMATOLOGIST FEELS I SHOULD BE UNDER THE CARE OF A CRITICAL CARE PULMONOLOGIST. wHAT`S YOUR VIEW?

Answer:

Sarcoidosis can affect many parts of the body and so frequently, patients need to be cared for by several specialists.

Pulmonologists commonly care for patients with sarcoidosis because the lung is the most frequently involved organ. The CT scan abnormalities you are describing could very likely be sarcoidosis.

Evaluation by a pulmonologist including pulmonary function tests would help determine whether the lungs are affected and the pulmonologist can help guide treatment for the lungs.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine