Vascular Surgery

EVLT procedure with regional anesthetic

03/23/2009

Question:

Dear DR-I had this procedure done 14-months ago with an accredited vascular surgeon. Very pleased with results, but I still have numbness around the back side of thigh and knee. They treated 3 out of the 4 saph veins, which required a lot of numbing. When I reported back to them, the nurse said unusual, yet most clients are back to normal sensation within 6 months. SHould I be concerned about nerve damage?? Or my body has yet to absorb it all? Thank you.

Answer:

Hello. By 14 months, the numbness should likely be gone. That being said, nerves can continue to recover up to about 18 months. Long-term numbness in an area of a surgical incision or where surgery was previously performed is a possibility with any procedure performed. Whatever you are experiencing in the area by 18 months will likely what you will be left with lifelong. Hope this helps.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD