Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Bruising on inside of pinky

I have a bruise on the inside of my pinky finger. I was sitting on my couch when I felt a sharp pain in my pinky finger by the first inner knuckle and then all of a suddden it started to bruise. What could this be and should I be concerned? It has happened before and the bruising only will last a day or two. I can bend it and it doesnt hurt it just looks bad.

In this forum it is not possible to really diagnose what may have caused the bruise on your finger. But, from what you describe, this sounds like it was a ruptured vein in the finger with a mild bruise that followed. This is quite common, and other than being painful for a short while, there are no other problems or other medical issues associated with this. If it does not get better, I would see your primary care physician, but it will likely just heal on its own.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine