Pregnancy

Getting pregnant while taking provera

03/16/2009

Question:

I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I had an ectopic pregnancy 9 months ago, and have not been regular since. I had an HSG, and my remaining tube is in excellent shape. I was put on provera to induce a period, started clomid on CD 3, and after having an ultrasound, found no response whatsoever. I was also taking Vitex (an herbal spplement) while on Clomid, and later found that it counteracts the clomid. Since my ultrasound and blood test was negative for ovulation, I was prescribed provera again. I stopped taking the Vitex the same day as my ultra sound. I know Clomid stays in the system for a little while. Three days after stopping the vitex, I had aching in my ovaries. I called the nurse and she said to go ahead and start taking the Provera. I took it for two days, and on the second day I tested positive on a home ovulation test (one day after having intercourse, so I could get pregnant). If I do conceive this cycle while taking the remainder of my Provera (called the nurse and she said to complete the prescription) will it harm my baby?

Answer:

There is no evidence of Provera causing any sort of birth defect.

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology