Pulmonary Hypertension

PH and cough

03/24/2009

Question:

In the past 6 months I have what I thaught was just a cold with chest congestion three times. The second and thrid time all I got was the cough and chest congestion. The second time I went to my doctor and he listened to my lungs and told me that I had sound where I should not have sounds. He gave me antibiotics. That was the middle of Dec. and now three month latter I still have a cough and chest congestion. I don`t think that it is a cold because it last so far for three months and I have already been on antibiotics. I have mild PH. Could the cough and chest congestion be caused by my PH? Becuase I do have PH should I see my doctor every time I get a cough or a chest infection or can I just assume that it is a cold?

Answer:

Cough and cold are not symptoms of PH.  You did not state if you smoke; smoking can cause these symptoms. You may want to discuss with your doctor that your cold has lasted 6 months so he/she can look into why your cold is not clearing up.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep