Gynecology

Birth control

03/10/2009

Question:

I am 26 yrs old. 3 months back I got married.Actually me and my husband has planned not to have a kid right now. We can think about this after 2 years. Actually after one month of my marriage I had a doubt so we get it checked so pregnancy test was positive. I took abortion pill. after this till now we didnt do intercourse. We consulted a doctor recently. She adviced me to take "familon". Please tell me that is there any side effect of this pill. If so, kindly suggest me any pill which doesn`t have any side effect and no problem comes on the way when we want a baby. Or suggest any other safe way.

Answer:

Oral contraceptive pills come in two types, combined (containing estrogen and progestin) and progestin only. I am unfamiliar with the brand of pill that you are taking so cannot specifically comment upon it. Oral contraceptives have no long term effect on your ability to conceive a pregnancy in the future. All hormonal contraceptives have potential side effects. These commonly include breast tenderness, nausea, headache, and irregular bleeding. Most of these improve with use. Serious complications from the pill are rare. You should try the pill you were prescribed and if you encounter any concerns, return to see your health care provider.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology