Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Cyst in the Fetus` Kidney

03/20/2009

Question:

Hello, I am 30 weeks pregnant. when i went for 28 weeks ultrasound they found a cyst in the fetus kidney, however, the amniotic fluid is normal. I am so worried about my unborn child. Would please tell me how serious this cyst could be and what should i expect? Thank you very much for you help.

Answer:

There are many causes of a cyst in the kidney, so it is difficult to answer your question. In some cases cysts completely replace the kidney and it does not function, called a multicystic dysplastic kidney. In other cases, there is enlargement of half of the kidney (resembling a cyst) associated with a double ureter, i.e., there are 2 ureters draining the kidney rather than one. Neither of these conditions is serious.

In rare cases a simple cyst is present. It is highly unlikely that it is a sign of cancer. The important aspect is that the amniotic fluid volume is normal. This finding suggests that your baby will probably have normal kidney function, irrespective of the cause of the cyst. Your baby will need prompt evaluation after delivery. It might be worthwhile consulting with a pediatric urologist ahead of time, as they can review the sonogram and may be able to provide insight.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology