Healthy Weight Center

What Can I Do To Maintain Weight Loss?

03/11/2009

Question:

What are some things I can do to maintain my weight loss?

Answer:

Unfortunately, we have limited knowledge of what behaviors are necessary for successful maintenance. The National Institute of Health (NIH) recommends that maintenance efforts be continued indefinitely. Dietary and physical activity modifications need to be incorporated and accepted as a way of life. 

The National Weight Control Registry involves individuals who have lost at least 30 pounds and maintained the loss for a least a year. The successful maintainers in the Registry report making substantial changes in their eating and exercise habits to lose weight and maintain their losses.  They carefully follow a reduced calorie, low-fat diet, increase levels of physical activity, and weigh themselves frequently. It is not established that these behaviors represent what is necessary for weight maintenance, but following these lifestyle changes on an ongoing basis have produced long-term weight loss maintenance. 

The bottom line?  No matter how you decide to cut calories, remember to keep at it, and keep moving; that should lead to successful weight maintenance.

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Formerly,
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology