Large head, Small body

04/07/2009

Question:

My 18month old son has always had a larger head and a smaller body. At his last checkup, his doctor noted that his head was in the 90percentile, his height was in the 25-50 percentile and his weight was in the 3rd percentile. I have always been on the smaller size (not progressing out of the 10th percentile for anything until i was in my teens)as is my husband.

I am ready to switch pediatricians as developmentally, socially and cognitively my son is thriving. Routine bloodwork and urinalysis has been normal to date, and now my pediatrician wants to send him to specialists "just to be sure" for what I feel is a wild goose chase.

Are there any diseases to have my new pediatrician screen for whose symptoms are a larger head and growth heightwise, but not substantial weight wise???

Thanks!

Answer:

There are many possible conditions that could explain what you describe, including the possibility of there being nothing wrong.  But without access to your son's medical history and the ability to examine him, I cannot give you any more specific information.  I would address your concerns to your child's pediatrician and discuss what he might be concerned about.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine