Healthy Weight Center

Food and Weight Loss

03/11/2009

Question:

I have heard that eating honey in the morning helps in losing your weight. Is it true? Also I wanted to know if there are any other food that can help you in losing weight.

Answer:

I wish there were foods with "magical properties" to help people lose weight, but the reality is all foods give us calories and calories eaten above your energy needs will cause weight gain. Calories need to come from quality foods and should be eaten in adequate amounts to help us attain/maintain a healthy weight. Any food eaten in excess, no matter what time of day, will cause you to gain weight. Honey will provide 64 calories per tablespoon and 1031 calories per cup. Adding just 1 tbsp. of honey per day to your diet will cause a weight gain of approximately 6.7 pounds in a year. [An excess of 500 calories per day will cause you to gain a pound a week; where as eating 500 calories less than your usual intake daily will help you lose one pound per week.]

So, if you are looking for foods to help you lose weight in a healthy manner I'd recommend choosing fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, non-fat dairy, and lean proteins (meat, fish, poultry, tofu, legumes) in portion sizes less than you consume now. Higher fiber foods can help to keep you full and satisfied longer. Avoid empty calorie foods and beverages (all sugar &/or fat, with very little nutrition). Don't skip meals. And, be sure to include physical activity daily. For more information, visit the web site ChooseMyPlate.gov  or see a registered dietitian for more individualized help. Best of luck to you!

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Jane   Korsberg, MS, RD, LD Jane Korsberg, MS, RD, LD
Senior Instructor of Nutrition