Healthy Weight Center

Is There Medication to Increase Weight Gain?

03/12/2009

Question:

I am a 29 year old male and I would like to gain weight and increase my appetite. I don`t drink or smoke. Are there any prescription or non-prescription medications that cause weight gain, increased appetite, or both increased appetite and weight gain?

Answer:

Thanks for your question. To my knowledge, there aren`t any over-the-counter appetite stimulants that you can buy. Some people find that taking a daily vitamin stimulates their appetite, so that may be something you`d like to try. If your appetite is poor for other reasons (illness, depression, etc, talk to your doctor about it). Your best bet for weight gain is to eat larger portions of the foods you currently eat, or consider meal replacements (such as Boost, Ensure, Slimfast or Carnation Instant Breakfast) as snacks between meals. These contain lots of calories, protein, vitamins and minerals and can aid in weight gain when consumed along WITH your normal diet. You can also gain weight by simply drinking more milk and juice during the day. These are calorie and nutrient dense and should not add much fat to your diet (depending on the type of milk you drink). You may also want to look into working out so that you not only gain weight, but also muscle. For more information on weight gain, search for previously asked questions on this site. Good luck!

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty