COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Life Expectancy with severe COPD

My mother is 61 years old and just diagonosed with COPD and heart disease. She`s been a heavy smoker all her adult life but has not smoked since the diagonosis 2 weeks ago. After releasing her from the hospital after a weeks stay, they have her on oxygen 24/7. I`ve noticed that she has been losing weight over the last few years and currently is still short of breath even at rest. I`m wondering if I can count on having her for another year or could the prognosis be worse than that at this point?

NetWellness receives many questions regarding prognosis and life expectancy for persons with COPD and emphysema. Although it is not possible to provide specific predictions in a forum such as this, you may find the following guidelines helpful in knowing what to expect.

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine