White slightly raised spot on floor of mouth

03/30/2009

Question:

Hello, I`ve had a white, slightly raised spot on the floor of my mouth, which is on the right side, for about 3 years now. It is pretty small; about half the diameter of #2 pencil lead. I`ve been watching it to see if it gets any bigger and it hasn`t. I do chew tobacco. It started off as a little bump that hurt really bad, like a canker sore, but had a clear "shell" I guess and was filled with a watery type fluid. It probably wasn`t the smartest decision but I decided to pop it and see if it got any better. Well after that it turned into what I described earlier. I noticed when I quit chewing tobacco it got smaller, almost to the point of going away, but when I started chewing again it came back. If I have my tongue fully retracted it is on the ridge like part if that makes sense. I`m not really sure what it is. A recurring ulcer maybe because of the irritation from the chewing tobacco? I haven`t seen a dentist about it but I plan to sometime in the future. As of right now I don`t feel threatened by it but I still would like to know what it is.

Thank you.

Answer:

Ideally, you should be evaluated by an oral pathologist. Oral pathology is the only specialty of dentistry or medicine that focuses on the diagnosis of oral disease. It would be impossible to say exactly what this lesion represents without doing a clinical examination and perhaps a biopsy.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology