HPV high-grade cells

03/30/2009

Question:

I had an abnormal pap last sept, did a biopsy that came back with HPV high-grade pre-cancerous cells (aka dyslaspia). I than ended having a leep procedure done in jan. I have had a follow up saying I look good and I go back in july to see if everything is still looking cleared up.

My question is about having sex, spreading hpv and talking to my partners. My doctor never explained any of that he said I could go back to a normal life. I only plan on having sex with a condom from now on..do I still spread hpv, will I spread it thru oral sex? How do I and do I need to talk to my future partners about it. I have had read mixed things on the internet saying you must always tell and other sites say that you don`t have to since most sexual active adults already have it. So, sexually where do I go from so I can have a normal sex life but not infect others?

Answer:

Using a condom is a good idea. It is the only thing that will protect you from acquiring a sexually transmitted disease (STD). With that said, it is only about 50% effective in reducing the transmission of HPV. It is true that the virus is very common: 50% of men and women will acquire HPV at some point.

Realize that after treatment (i.e., your Leep procedure), infectivity is very low. Your decision to tell your partners about your past history is something only you can decide. I agree with your doctor, time to get back to a normal life.

Deborah A Bartholomew, MD Deborah A Bartholomew, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology