Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

High platelet count

04/01/2009

Question:

I am a 43 yr female. I have iron deficiency and now was recently told I was B12 deficient also. I have seen a homotologist for 2 years. My recent platelet count was 543 and all the ones in the past have been in the mid to high 400`s. When I injure myself I don`t see bruises. My hemoglobin was 9 in beginning but is now 12 with my iron pill repliva which I can only tolerate one every other day. My stored iron was 7 but is 14 now and hasn`t changed in about a year. My iron saturation is usually kinda high according to my dr. my red blood cells are smaller than normal. I feel fatigued but work though it. Should I be concerned about the two dificiencies combined and the high platelets? Will I ever find an answer? Also, there is no inflamation or illness at the time of my blood test or now.

Answer:

All that you describe can easily be from iron deficiency: the small cells, low ferritin, and the high platelet. After you are able to get you iron stores repleted (which may take 6 months or more) these should all resolve/normalize.

I would encourage you to ask your hematologist additional questions if this still doesn't make sense to you.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine