Dilated eye

04/14/2009

Question:

I had blood in the front chamber of the R. eye and was examined by two doctors. Nothing was found and the blood went away after a day. The second Dr. never saw the blood. The first Dr. dilated my R. eye and gave me drops to keep it dilated. Two days later the second Dr`s tech. dilated me twice for tests. Then the second Dr. dilated it again with stronger medication for other test. It was totally dilated by this time. He advised me to stay on the meds that the first Dr. gave me. I had dilating meds for a week. Now my R. eye is still dilated and the pupil is about twice the size of my left eye in normal light. The R. eye also does not react as well as my left when using a flashlight. It has been 14 days since the last Dr. visit and 12 days since I quit the meds. Considering the extensive testing, blood die test ect., How long should I give it to get back to normal? It also seems to quiver at times. Do they have an eye drop that will reverse dilation? Thanks

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. There are actually different types of dilating drops that eye doctors use to dilate the pupils of the eyes. The most common one usually causes the eye to remain dilated for approximately 3-5 hours; however, there are some other dilating drops available that can cause the eye to remain dilated for up to 14 days. 

If you have any concerns or have any further questions regarding the drops used in your eyes, I recommend contacting your eye doctor to express your concerns.

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry