LASIK surgery regression

04/27/2009

Question:

I had Lasik surgery 6 years ago to correct nearsightedness. Over the past 2 years, I`ve noticed that objects in the distance are difficult to see to the point that I`m wearing contact lenses (-2.00). I`ve seen an optometrist several times, and he can`t find anything unhealthy with my eyes. I wear reading glasses to offset the contacts while working at the computer for my job. I`m 53, and worried because my vision continues to regress. What could could cause this, and will it continue?

Answer:

Returning myopia (nearsightedness) following LASIK is not uncommon. There are a number of possible explanations:

You should continue to see your optometrist on a regular basis. Even though you have some myopia, you can probably function reasonably well with your contact lenses. Some would say that you have the ideal prescription for a 50-year-old, i.e., you can read without glasses and contact lenses!

Mark  Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD Mark Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD