Pulmonary Fibrosis

Please help save my mother (IPF)

04/20/2009

Question:

My parents live in India. An year back, the doctor told that my mother has Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Her condition is degrading day by day. There was no biopsy or bronchoscopy made, but the doctor said that she has IPF. I love my mother and would like to do the best that helps her. She is currently at a state where she is not able to walk even 30 steps without getting exhausted. She is tired and is constantly weak and moaning because of the weakness she is having. Some days she lays all day long on bed and hardly talks. Her food intake has reduced dramatically. I thought that I can get her to the US and get her treated, but now she is so weak that she cannot travel. I can send all her reports if you think that you can help me and my mother. I am planning to go to India to take care of her for some time. Please let me know how I can save my mother. Thank you so much in advance. God bless.

Answer:

Unfortunately, we are not able to review medical records or provide individualized medical evaluation and treatment recommendations at this website.

Patients with advanced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis can often benefit by supplemental oxygen so it would be advisable to check with her physicians to see whether oxygen is indicated.

Diseases that can often mimic pulmonary fibrosis need to be excluded; common IPF mimics include infection (pneumonia), pulmonary embolism (blood clots), and heart failure. When speaking with her physicians, you should inquire whether these conditions have been excluded.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine