Runny poo`s

04/21/2009

Question:

My son is 20 months old and still has runny stools up to 6 per day. A minimum of 4 though. They are not solid and they often smell quite bad, although sometime they dont smell at all. When born, he had eczema quite badly although for the most part he appears to have grown out of this. According to the Paediatrician he is not thriving and his weight and height are only on the 3rd centile. He has only gained .7kg in the last 7 months! He is also a very picky eater. I cannot believe he poo`s so much when he eats very little. The Paediatrician thinks he will hopefully outgrow whatever is affecting him, what I am wondering is if he has a problem with his digestive system that causes him to poo, most often straight after a meal. He also sometimes vomits a small amount after eating or drinking a bottle. He has 3 bottles of 100 mls per day or toddler formula to add to his nutrition. He has been tested for coeliacs and allergies which all came back negative. In all other areas, he is developing well. Very smart, happy and active. I would really like him to start eating more and gaining weight. Do you have any advice? Or should I be asking for a re-referral to the Paediatrician to continue looking. They have just said that they will "monitor" him.

Answer:

I would suggest that with the failure to thrive issue and the bowel issues you describe, a pediatric gastroenterologist may be a good place to get your questions answered.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine