Cause on granulomas in lungs

04/24/2009

Question:

My 22-yr old son had a chest xray for a job and they found granulomas. Could these be from an injury he sustained as a child in an auto accident? He received a pneumatecele at age 3 when he fell from a car.

Answer:

I don't think the granulomas are related to his childhood injury. Granulomas are small areas of inflammation in tissue due to injury, such as from an infection. Granulomas most often occur in the lungs but can occur in other parts of the body as well. They typically cause no signs or symptoms and are found incidentally on a chest X-ray done for some other reason. The most common cause of granuloma is histoplasmosis, a fungal infection that primarily affects the lungs. Most people with pulmonary histoplasmosis never suspect that they have the disease. Granulomas due to histoplasmosis are usually visible on X-rays because they become calcified and have the same density as bone. Granulomas usually do not require treatment.

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep