Duration of time from a filling to root canal

04/24/2009

Question:

My family just moved states. My kids (a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old) just had their last dental appointment/cavities filled on April 4, 2009. Not all their cavities were filled during this time. I was informed that they need to get the rest of their cavities filled so that neither of them have to resort to getting a root canal. At our last dentist, they had scheduled a follow-up appointment for May 9, 2009. Since we have moved, our new dentist is not able to accommodate us until June (June 1st is when our new insurance kicks in). Will waiting a month for a filling make a huge difference in their teeth or will it cause them to have to get root canals? Please help!!!

Answer:

I can not tell you how much time would be too long since I do not know the size of the cavities. It is likely that one extra month would not make much of a difference, but if you are concerned, I would call your previous dentist who did the exam and ask them your questions.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics