Diabetes

Children normal glucose level

04/27/2009

Question:

I am a type 1 Diabetic. I`ve always been afraid my two daughters will become diabetics as well. Last night my 10 year old was feeling thirsty and beign so over protective I did a glucose test on her with my meter. It was about 2 1/2 hours after dinner and her result was 113. She was not feeling thirsty after that but I did another test before bedtime, about thirty minutes after a glass of chocolate milk and the result was 125. This morning I did another test before breakfast and it was 103. I have read that fasting above 100 is not considered normal. Should these results be a reason for concern? I was not able to sleep the entire night worrying about the 125 result. Please help me.

Answer:

Glucose test meters are accurate enough for making diabetes treatment decisions in people with diabetes but not accurate enough to make diagnoses of diabetes.  That should be done only with laboratory glucose determinations under standard conditions.  Now that you have raised the question and have concerns, it is important to have properly done lab tests under those standard conditions, either through your children's primary doctor or perhaps through a diabetes specialist - I cannot give a certain interpretation of the results you report but there is a substantial chance that they are raising undue concern. 

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine