Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Mouth Diseases

From Portugal, Help on Diagnosis, Please



Hello Dear Sir I am from Portugal and when I saw your website I decided to ask a question because my family doctor is a bit old, we can`t ask for another until he retires but the problem is that I have an health situation that he doesn`t diagnose correctly. In this situation I have come here to try your help, because if you give me some advise I might then complement your diagnose with blood tests or other exams I can do to be sure. Please forgive me my english, I will try to describe the symptoms even though I might not use the correct term. About 1 month ago I began to feel irritation on my throat and swelling. this impression also attacks my lower jaw below the teeth, the skin gets rough when I pass with the tongue and all the right side of my face is attacked. up to my temporal and ears. I don`t know what this is and my doctor has given me pills for inflamation of the tongue but the sympton doesn`t go away. under the right side of my jaw, in the throat, it is swollen, there is a lump there.

Can you help me a little? I know I am not there and you can`t see it but maybe you can tell me something

thank you much dearly

Ana Lemos


You do not mention whether or not this lump was something your doctor was able to feel or see. This is a very important point, because the feeling of a lump can be present without any evidence (by regular examination or x-rays or other imaging machines) of a physical mass. If there is a true mass or lump below your right jaw or in the throat, this may need additional testing to be sure that it does not represent something more than inflammation.

I would recommend that you request a referral from your family doctor to a specialist doctor in ear, nose and throat examination (an otorhinolaryngologist or otolaryngologist), if for nothing else than peace of mind.

Good luck!

For more information:

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University