Addiction and Substance Abuse

Need to Know

05/12/2009

Question:

I found some pills in my sons room ,how do i find out what they are? I do not believe what he is telling me. The pills are just small white pills no letters or numbers please help

Answer:

I regret to tell you that you that pills, without any identifying numbers or letters, are nearly impossible to identify without chemical analysis, which is not readily available. A tablet with letter or number markings could be identified at your local pharmacy or through a service such as http://www.bepoisonsmart.com/ for a minimal fee. Columbus Poison Control Center would be an additional source of information at 614-228-1323. To locate another poison control center, call 1-800-222-1222.

It sounds like you are concerned about your son. Drug abuse is the misuse of illicit, prescription, or over-the-counter drugs or alcohol. Symptoms of substance abuse include any one of the following:

If you are noting any one of these symptoms, I would encourage you to seek the help of professionals in further assessment for substance abuse or dependency.

The CRAFFT Questions

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Deborah L Hoy, CNS Deborah L Hoy, CNS
Clinical Instructor at the College of Nursing