Tiny red bumps on chest

05/04/2009

Question:

I have several tiny red bumps on my chest. I started out with a few but over the last two years there seems to be a great deal more. They are tiny round deep red barely raised bumps. I am a healthy person otherwise. The bumps do not itch, burn anything. I really did not worry about it until a new DR said they could be a sign of Liver problems but I had very recently a full blood test and it said my liver was fine. I am just not for sure what it could be. If you pick at them they will bleed.

Answer:

It is really difficult to provide sufficient advise without seeing the red bumps because there are many types of red bumps that can form on the chest. One very common benign skin growth is called "cherry angioma". This is not a skin cancer and simply appears as we age. A check with the dermatologist will probably provide the answer.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center