Nondisplaced tibial plateau fracture

05/21/2009

Question:

I have a 2 milimeter nondisplaced fracture of the tibial plateau. How long should I stay off my feet. How long after that can I go back to heavy lifting. I did it skiing. I want to get back to work soon but do not want to go back in a rush and really mess it up.

I was told MRI was good otherwise. What other problems should I be aware of and how likely are they.

Thank you

Answer:

Your very good questions should appropriately - and best - be addressed by your Orthopedic Surgeon.

However, for your information, initial splinting in full knee extension, followed by knee bracing to allow progressively increasing knee range of motion, and strict nonweightbearing for the first 6 weeks are typically recommended. Time to full resumption of desired activities unfortunately takes at least 3 months, and often longer.

On the positive side, it's certainly good your MRI scan revealed no additional injuries, specifically, no evidence for meniscal/articular cartilage nor ligament injury.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation