Gum Diseases

Gum graph success or failure?

I had a gum graph done on one of my front/side lower teeth a little over two weeks ago. On day 2 after the surgery I smiled funny and it hurt in the area of the graph. I called the peridontist and they told me not to worry, that it was probably fine. Since then it gets a funny sensation when I laugh or smile too much. I guess because my cheek is rubbing it?? I resisted looking at it for 10 whole days. Having a swollen lip helped me resist the urge. However, now that I have looked, I`m not sure whether to tell if it took or not. The stiches on one side of the graph fell out over the weekend. The area of the graph, where I had the recession, still looks recessed. I expected the graph to cover more than it appears to be. I`m worried that it either it moved or didn`t take. Should I rush back to the peridontist or wait out this last week and then go for my regularly sheduled follow up appointment? What is it supposed to look like?

At this point, your doctor will not touch it because any procedure will traumatize wound healing and negatively affect treatment outcome. Thus, I would wait for the regular appointment unless you have severe pain, etc.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology