Infertility

What do these test results mean?

05/19/2009

Question:

I`m 30 years old, have one child who is 2.5 years and I`m TTC. I had a very early miscarriage when my first one was 1 years old. I have an extremely irregular cycle fluctuating between 31 to 47 days. My LMP when the doctor ordered these tests was 9th March. After that i started strange bleeding or blood tinged mucus on the 28th of March. The doctor ordered an ultrasound on the 9th of April and i was diagnosed with a small follicular cyst on the right ovary. After that the doctor ordered these blood tests on the 11th of April. I gave my blood on the 11th of April for testing and these are the results: LH is 11.47 MIU/ml FSH is 1.18 mIU/ml Prolactin is 11.75 ng/ml Progesterone is 4.13 ng/ml Testosterone is 54.55 ng/dl I`m not pregnant and i am TTC.... these tests were taken on the 11th of April 2009 and i started my periods on the 13th of April 2009. I went to the doctor yesterday and she has prescribed Primolut for ten days starting 1st of May, then from the 5th day of my cycle she has asked me to take Clomid twice %0 mg) for 5 days and then from the 11th day of my cycle she has prescribed duphaston (dydrogesterone) from the 11th day of my cycle (have to take it for two week) and then on the 12th day of my cycle she has asked me to get an ultrasound. Please tell me with all these medicines and tests is there something seriously wrong with me? what is going?? feeling anxious.

Answer:

If you have irregular periods, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  It depends on the degree of hypothyroidism that you have whether or not your periods regulate.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open. 

If you are going to have ultrasound monitoring while you are taking fertility pills, we would start with a baseline ultrasound (performed within the first 5 days of your period).   You would then start the fertility pills for 5 days and come  back one week later for a follow-up ultrasound.  If the follicles (cyst with an egg inside) are ready, you can take a shot to trigger ovulation (release of the egg).  Dydrosterone is usually started 1-2 days after you have ovulated.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD