Wisdom Teeth

05/08/2009

Question:

I have a baby tooth on the third tooth from the middle left hand side and also a wisdom tooth aswel. The Baby tooth has no route and is loose. the wisdom tooth is still growing. I am worried that i might need a implant and is it going to hurt? Also my wisdom tooth is growing on an angle and will need to come out. The Dentist gave me two options. Either let it pop out and leave a space there or take it out and put a implant there. A space between my teeth is going to be awkward and will irritate me. please help me with an answer!

Answer:

Sounds like you and your dentist have covered the main options.  If the baby tooth is loose and has no root(s), which happens in adults, it will have to be removed or it will fall out and/or might hurt/bother you. If you do not want to live with a space, an implant may be the best replacement option.  If the teeth on either side of the baby tooth need crowns (caps) to cover large fillings etc., you might be a candidate for a "fixed bridge" (a cemented in "permanent" false tooth anchored to the two teeth on either side of the space). 

If your wisdom tooth is "stuck" at an angle especially if it is visible partially in your mouth (poking through your gums) or pushing against the good tooth in front of it, it also needs to be removed.

David Lee Hall, DDS David Lee Hall, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care