I have some symptoms, I need advice...

05/18/2009

Question:

A few months ago i had an episode of monocular diplopia (rigth eye), i was investigated by oftalmologysts but they could´nt find the cause of diplopia, a few weeks later it dissapears. Later I had epitaxis in the left nasal fossa, i was cauterized three times and it appears to be dissapeared but recently started to bleed again, and still happens frequently. I also chequed my Blood Pressure, it was slightly high, and i´m under treatment with "Captopril". But the most preoccupied symptom I´ve noticed is that when I agitate (by runnig or ascending a stair) and suddenly stops, I notice that my rigth eye peripheryc view seems to "jump" or pulse at the heartbeat rithm... Do you think this is serious? Is it something to be worried, what should I do?

Answer:

I obviously cannot diagnose your symptoms over the Internet, but the fact that your monocular diplopia resolved spontaneously is a good thing. It indicates that there was no permanent vision impairment. However, it was a warning sign.

The two most likely causes of transient monocular diplopia in an adult are (1) cardiovascular diseases like hypertension or carotid artery disease and (2) neurological diseases like Parkinson's disease (PD) or Myasthenia Gravis (MG).

I think an appointment with a neuro-ophthalmologist, who is a specialist in both vascular and neurological diseases that affect the eye, would be a wise course of action for you.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry