Infertility

Ectopic pregnancy

05/19/2009

Question:

I am a 23 years old female who had an eptopic surgery 6 years ago and i have been trying to get pregnant ever since and nothing seems to happen. Both me and my partner have done tests recommended by doctors and i have gone to multiple gynaecologists. Is it possible that i may never get pregnant?...what are my chances of ever getting pregnant? Please give me your much appreciated response. Thanks in advanced.

Answer:

If you have been attempting pregnancy for greater than 1 year without success, an infertility evaluation would be indicated.  This would consist of a semen analysis in your husband, a blood test to see if you are ovulating, as well as a dye test to make sure that your fallopian tubes are open. This is particularly important in your case as you had a prior ectopic pregnancy.   

If all testing is normal, treatment usually consists of fertility pills or shots combined with intrauterine insemination (injection of your husband's sperm into your uterus at the time of insemination) or in vitro fertilization (stimulation of your ovaries to make extra eggs, removal of those eggs from you ovary followed by mixing with your husband's sperm, allowing fertilization of the eggs and growth into embryos; approximately 2 embryos would then be injected into your uterus).

For more information about the above tests/treatment, please contact your doctor. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD