Infertility

Infertility

05/26/2009

Question:

dear doc, i m 29.5 yrs old,trying for conception since 2years. almost all my and my husband reports are good and recently , i went through HSG which shows both my tubes to be open and uterus of normal shape.my husband sperm count is good.(as told by my gynac). my gynac has denied tht i shd go for laproscopy and wait for 3 months in which she has prescribed some homonal tablets to increse my egg size(to be taken during my periods). i am confused doc bec, through my follicular study, my egg size was quite normal and she has suggested that if these ovlution induction tablets dnt work, she would try 3 cycles of IUI with me. i wanna knw, if i shd go through laproscopy to diagnose any further problems, if any OR can i go for IUI bec i feel tht IUI wnt work if there is som prb inside for e.g: endometriosis. wht do u suggest my further course of action shd be. pl note that i hav taken two months of ovlution induction but all in vain.please advice.

Answer:

At this point, you would seem to have a diagnosis of unexplained infertility.  In most cases, patients would begin treatment which usually consists of fertility pills or shots combined with intrauterine insemination (injection of your husband's sperm into your uterus at the time of insemination) or in vitro fertilization (stimulation of your ovaries to make extra eggs, removal of those eggs from you ovary followed by mixing with your husband's sperm, allowing fertilization of the eggs and growth into embryos; approximately 2 embryos would then be injected into your uterus).

In some cases, a laparoscopy is indicated:  severe pain with periods, prior history of tubal infection or surgery, before starting fertility shots + insemination. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD